We'll share all our projects, recipes, decor & organization ideas, home improvement, and everything in between!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hobby: Food! Halloween/Fall Treats

Here are a few things I whipped up to take to a party tonight! It wasn't a costume or strictly "Halloween" party, so I chose a mix of Halloween and Fall desserts and appetizers to bring. All were easy AND yummy, can't beat that!

Halloween Brownies
I used a box mix, but made some homemade frosting and added candy corn & sprinkles! The frosting recipe is from a family friend - she used to make these brownies for basket ball games and sell them at the concession stand when my husband & I were in High school. They were always a huge hit and never lasted long!
Frosting
1 Cup white suger
1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Cocoa
2 Tablespoons butter
Mix together and boil 1 minute. Remove from stove to cool and beat until it has thickened enough to spread. If you are putting any sprinkles on, do it right away - frosting sets quickly!


Homemade Easy Apple Pie
I found this Easy Apple Pie recipe on Your Homebased Mom blog. Apple pie is a fall staple, so I thought it would be a great addition to the dessert choices. My house smelled amazing while this was baking! Andy says this is his favorite Apple Pie recipe from now on!




Cream Cheese Roll-Ups
I used the famous Vawter Cheese Ball recipe for the spread on store-bought sun dried tomato tortillas. Rolled them up, sliced them, and stuck them with a festive Halloween toothpick!
Cream Cheese Filling (mix altogether): 
1 box Cream Cheese, Softened
1 Bag Budigs Corned Beef
1 Finely minced Shallot
Salt & Pepper to taste




Taco Dip
I modified two of my current layered dips and took a tip from a co-worker about the spider web design.
Here's the dip recipe I used:
Mix together, then spread as the bottom layer of the dip:
1 package softened cream cheese
1 Cup sour cream
3/4 package of Taco Seasoning

Add one can of refried beans (stir this before spreading) as the next layer.
Spoon 1 Cup salsa around the outside border. Then add shredded lettuce over the salsa,  then shredded cheese, then black olives. Cut a small hole in the tip of a ziplock bag - spoon 1/2 cup of sour cream into the bag. Make your web design by piping sour cream and dragging a knife outwards from the center to help create the design. Serve with tortilla chips!




Candy Corn Cookie Bark
I didn't get around to making the Candy Corn Cookie Bark because I was all sugared-out, but it looks amazing! Check it out, also at Your Homebased Mom blog.

Hope you enjoy all your Halloween & Fall Festivities!!!!

1 comment: