I wanted to post a few pictures of things I've been working on for the nursery, etc. We have had so much fun creating and making mostly all the decor in the nursery.
Here are a few pictures:
HANGING FLORAL BALLS
I wanted to make some sort of creative, visually interesting decor that could serve as a spin off of a baby mobile. There are so many creative ideas out there in nurseries now, and I wanted something unique and specific to her nursery theme/decor. We already have a musical/electronic image mobile that projects onto the ceiling, so I really didn't need anything that was truly going to serve as a mobile...just wanted the concept to be there. I used grapevine balls (1 large, 2 small) as the forms. Then I glued about 200 little hydrangea flowers to the balls, leaving a few gaps where the grapevine could peep through. I think it creates a very natural, breezy, floral feel!
IT'S A GIRL WREATH
This wreath will be for our hospital room door, and then our front door when we come home. I got the idea from a pinterest photo, but modified it to what I wanted. I wrapped the entire grapevine wreath in a gauzy/glittery tulle, then I used a pink feather boa and hotglued & wired it into place around the wreath. Then I added a giant bow and an "It's a girl" sign. It was so easy and turned out really cute!
OTHER NURSERY RANDOMS
We found this shelf at a thrift store for $1.99. We painted it, added wainscoting to the back of it, added some cute pink knobs, and it looks completely different from when we bought it!
CURTAINSI could not find any curtains that were what I wanted, so I made my own! (sort of!). I bought two valences on sale at JCP. Then I sewed them together in a layered fashion, to give the curtain a little more thickness and layers. I sewed some white trim and some brown trim on top of that to tie in all the colors of the nursery, and give it more visual interest. Kind of hard to see in this picture-sorry! We found a nice Roman Shade on clearance at Lowe's for $10! Gotta love a bargain!
Some friends of ours gave us this large mirror when they moved to Illinois and couldn't find room for it in the moving truck! It is such a large, nice mirror and I love how it brightens the room and makes it seem larger...so there was no way I was parting with it...I just had to find a way to work it into the Nursery decor. We started by putting in the lattice trim pieces to create "frames" for my monogram blocks. We painted the mirror. Using painters tape, we sectioned off the three squares and covered all other surfaces of the mirror. Andy spray painted inside the squares to create the pink background for the letters. I ordered the custom letters online and we held our breaths and we put the letters on - making sure they were level, centered, and safely transferred was tricky work! I love how it came out!
FAMILY TREE FRAME:
Found the frame on clearance for $15 at Hobby Lobby. Spray painted it cream to match our wainscoting/trim and really made it "pop" against the brown walls. Now I'm in the process of gathering pictures of all our family (Azalea's grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins) so that she can see their faces every day! I can't forget to mention that Andy meticulously painted and put up the wainscoting in this room. He really was hoping he could talk me out of it, but in the end it was worth the extra work and we both love how it looks!
I've also been making hairbows and felt flowers. They are so fun to make and I can customize the colors to match outfits that she has!
The instructions for the felt flowers are at this blog: http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/08/felt-flower-ornament-no7.html
Instead of making an ornament though, I just used a 2 1/2 inch round felt piece as the base/backing and created a flower for a headband instead. I also added an actual gemstone instead of glitter.
It's been so fun working on all of these projects! It is so neat to see the nursery coming together...my goal of having it completed by the summer's end is totally on track!